Orthodontics from the Greek word “orthos” means straight or proper, and “odous” meaning tooth is another dental procedure dedicated to align teeth to its desired and proper position to improve the appearance, bite and chewing function.
Orthodontic treatment can be carried out for purely aesthetic reasons with regards to improving the general appearance of patients’ teeth. However, there are orthodontists who work on reconstructing the entire face rather than focusing exclusively on teeth.
Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
- Healthier mouth – crooked teeth are harder to clean, therefore, there is greater risk for tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- Promote overall wellbeing – eliminate stress to jaw muscle when chewing that causes headache
- Eliminate pains associated with TMJ disorder such as shoulder and back pain
- Improves appearance
Conditions Requiring Orthodontic Treatment
- Underbite – lower front teeth stick out far too forward from the upper teeth
- Overbite — upper front teeth stick out far too forward from the lower teeth
- Open bite – upper and lower teeth do not clasp together when back teeth bite together
- Crossbite – upper teeth do not close over the lower teeth
- Crowding – too many teeth
- Over spacing of teeth due to missing teeth
- Misplaced midline – upper and lower teeth do bot line up at the center